Thursday, February 19, 2015

Should I care?

Hopefully by now, you have a pretty good idea about diagnosis, pathology, and treatment for acute and chronic bronchitis.  This week I will talk about ways nurse provide care for people with acute or chronic bronchitis.  First of all, I highly recommend you to visit the homepage of the American Lung Association.  It provides a lot of information such as different types of lung disease, up to date research information about each disease, and diagnosis and treatment for the diseases.  Since most of acute bronchitis is caused by a virus, you don't need antibiotics to treat it.  It would go away on its own.  I would recommend my patients to wash their hands with soap and warm water as often as possible, monitor for cough, maintain a nutritional diet, gets as much  sleep as possible, do not smoke, stay away from any irritants/ allergens that might trigger your asthma (because you don't want any complication with your bronchitis), have your rescue inhaler ready in case you need it, and pay attention to your vital signs such as temperature, pulse, respiration rate, and blood pressure.  You should seek medical help if your vital signs are not normal, you feel worse and your cough worsens.
As your nurse, I will pay attention to all the items listed above and report any changes to your provider.

For chronic bronchitis, also known as COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), my approach of care as a nurse would be slightly different. I recommend you to check out this website which breaks down different ways and approaches to take care of someone with COPD with tables.
http://nurseslabs.com/10-chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-bronchitis-nursing-care-plans/
In addition to the approaches discussed in the link above, I would highlight the importance of clearing your secretion from your airway.  For most patients, this is a challenge.  I would recommend my patient to sit up, encourage fluid intake, take their medication according to prescription, and take deep breaths or use the incentive spirometer.  If coughing isn't enough to clear the secretion, suctioning through the nose or airway of the patient is necessary.  I would explain the steps clearly to the patient before execution.  Definitely monitor vital signs, signs and symptoms of infection, breath sounds, and provide support for the patient since this is a stressful disease without a cure.



References:
EHS: Nursing Diagnosis Care Plans, 4/e - Airway Clearance, Ineffective. (n.d.). Retrieved February 20, 2015, from http://www1.us.elsevierhealth.com/MERLIN/Gulanick/archive/Constructor/gulanick03.html

doi: 10.1097/01.NPR.0000452978.99676.2b

Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment - American Lung Association. (n.d.). Retrieved February 20, 2015, from http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/copd/about-copd/symptoms-diagnosis-treatment.html

3 comments:

  1. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Phytotherapy.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. Whatsapp ... 2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    Hepatitis
    Lung Cancer
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had COPD for over three years, I was beyond scared! but sometimes I think is God prodigy that I was able to treat my COPD but multivitamincare .org herbal remedies has a big impact on my recovery. My lung function test indicated 44% capacity. After having had flu as well, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my family eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, Multivitamin Herbal Care has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair your lungs and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life,it advisable to always try natural herbs at first because www.multivitamincare.org neutralize my COPD which surprise everyone at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I'm cambell by name, I'm giving a testimony about Dr.Emmanuel the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes disease, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the herpes cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Emmanuel via email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes negative, if you are herpes positive do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348140073965 

    ReplyDelete